Saturday, December 29, 2007

Do you see what I see?

Yes, I know that Christmas is over, but what a perfect title for this entry! :-) So, do you see it? It's SMOKE - coming out of the chimney! Now everyone around knows that Don really is a little bit "off"! :-)

He's been bugging our contractor, Troy, for a long time asking when he could put a fire in the fireplace! Don has had wood inside the house for a while now...even before they were done hooking up the chimney just waiting for the right time! He's had that piece of wood sitting on the grate since they placed the fireplace!

The kids came up the other day, but it was just too cold to sit inside and have a fire since the house still wasn't completely shut in! Yesterday, I asked Don if he wanted to do something "spontaneous" (get your heads out of the gutter!). Friday the drywallers only work half a day so we stopped, got lunch and brought it to the house! Don cut up some kindling, gathered up some "fatwood" (that he got for Christmas), brought in some newspaper that he's been saving up...and tried out his Boy Scout skills!

Hmmm, guess he needs to work on those skills 'cause he didn't do very good on the first or even second try! :-) I do want you to know that the wood was wet...you could hear it sizzling as it was burning! As you can see by the last two pictures - he did get it going! It felt pretty good even though there is no door to the study (where we had the fire). You could walk into the room and feel the heat!

One thing I have to say...the chimney had a great draw! There was NO smoke in the house at all! In Canyon Lake, Don was notorius for having a VERY smoky fire! :-)











You can still check out our building progress at www.picasaweb.google.com/vickileith


1 comment:

Rick Stone said...

Sounds like Don needs some fire starting lessons from Joanne. I don't even try to get the fire going over here. That is her job since she is good at it.